In the past one decade, there has been a tectonic shift in computers. Once again, companies are moving in buying services instead of persevering do it yourself approach. This new trend is cloud computing.
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing renders computer services like- servers, storage, databases, networking, analytics and more. The cloud technology offers faster innovation, flexible resources, and economies of scale over the internet. This all helps in-
- Lowering the operating costs
- Run infrastructure more efficiently
- Scale as business needs the change
It has been around for approximately 2 decades. Many industries, growing tech-savvy businesses, and industry leaders are recognizing the benefits of cloud computing. Through this technology, they are running organizations more efficiently, serving customers in a better way, which in turn helps them increase their profits.
Top benefits of cloud computing –
Cloud computing is a big move from traditional to the modern way of doing business. The advent of cloud computing has benefitted a huge number of companies.
This is advantageous for small businesses as previously they had to buy and maintain their own physical servers. Through it, business owners can start working with cloud computing technology quickly and inexpensively. In fact, you can set it up by your own in few steps or hire a professional web development company to do that. And as the business grows, processing data in the cloud can keep with increased traffic to the server.
Start-ups are turning to cloud computing services due to few reasons.
- Cost: Cloud computing eliminates the expense of buying hardware & software and setting up & running data centres. Cloud computing gives an easy access to data which eventually saves time and money. The pay system applies as per the data storage space used.
- Security: Cloud service providers offer a broad set of policies, technologies and controls to strengthen security. It helps in protecting data, files, and other programs and apps from cybercriminals. By using encryption, information gets secured and hackers or any unauthorized personnel get restrained from viewing or accessing it.
- Flexibility: A business cannot focus on multiple aspects at once. IT asks to focus more on computer and data storage issues which made difficult to concentrate on achieving business goals and satisfying customers. Cloud providers can make a significant difference to the overall efficiency of the organization by providing extra bandwidth (if required).
- Mobility: Cloud computing provides mobile access to corporate data via smartphones and devices. Staff who lives away from the corporate office for a long time can use this feature to keep up to date with clients and co-workers. It offers access to information who travel or freelance workers for better work-life balance.
- Quality: Inconsistent and poor-quality reporting can detriment the success of a business. In cloud computing, all the data is stored in one place and in a unified fashion. With everyone accessing the same information, it is easy to maintain consistency, avoid human error and have clear records or updates.
Not all cloud computing is the same and there is no one match fit for everyone. Several types and services have evolved to offer the right solutions. They are:
- Public cloud: These are owned and operated by third-party cloud service providers. They deliver computing resources like servers and storage over the internet. All hardware and software and other supporting systems are owned and managed by the cloud provider. The services are accessible using the web browser.
- Private cloud: The cloud computing resources are exclusively used by a single business or organization. It can be physically located on the company’s on-site datacentre. Services are maintained on a private network.
- Hybrid cloud: It is the combination of both public and private cloud computing services. It allows data and applications to move between public and private clouds which gives business more flexibility & security.
Cloud computing is used everywhere including movies & TV, listening to music, online games etc.
Cloud services can be availed from the cloud provider in different ways.
- Create new apps & devices: Cloud companies quickly build, deploy and scale applications either on the web or mobile. Cloud provides access to resources required to meet performance & security.
- Store, back up and recover data: Protect data by transferring over the internet to an off-site cloud storage system which can be accessed from any location and device.
- Stream audio and video: Cloud computing services help to connect anywhere, anytime or on any device with high-definition video and audio.
- Analyze data: Cloud computing service analyze data across teams, divisions and locations. It uses artificial intelligence for better-informed decisions.
Top cloud computing companies:
- Amazon Web Services: One of the safest providers offering services like database storage, computing power, networking and more.
- Google Cloud Platform: Used by developers for live data and offers resources like virtual machines, hard disks, computers.
- Adobe: Offers a wide range of solutions for advertising, building campaigns and gaining intelligence on business.
- Dropbox: Used to remotely store files or documents that can be accessed from anywhere with authorization.
- IBM Cloud: Used for high-performance communications allowing to select and unite data models, tools and delivery models for varied applications.
- Rackspace: Offers services like hosting web apps, Cloud Files, Cloud Block Storage, Cloud Backup, Databases and Cloud Servers etc.
- Red Hat: Allows updating and managing different parts of an app in a single solution from a centralized location.
- Oracle Cloud: For quick business solutions that also aids in reducing the technical complexity.
- SAP: One of the powerful providers with advanced networks, cloud collaboration, and security.
Cloud Computing has made it easier for business to explore horizons which were out of their reach earlier. With the age of social media, smartphones, and demand for a quick resolution- Cloud Computing has become a necessity for our day to day lives.