We live in a world where the concept of supply chain connects distributors, manufacturers, retailers, and growers everybody from the beverage and food industry. But whichever industry we talk about, timber pallets are the backbone of that industry. Wooden products are fantastic for the durability, design, and shock absorbing potential. The comparison most commonly made with wood is plastic and aluminum. Without these pallets, the infrastructure, logistics, and storage of industrial items become difficult. The timber pallets help in transporting huge quantities of food and beverage products. Many times, these timber pallets are overlooked. They are secure, safe and economical as a transporting tool.
Facets of Timber Pallets
Some facets of timber pallets are:
- Faster and easier for transportation – Due to its light weight and carving nature
- They reduce manual labor – Forklifts can do the work easily
- They increase the job’s operational efficiency – With lesser wear and tear
- They increase the transportation efficiency – Thanks for its storage
- The reduce product damage – As it is highly durable
- Worker injuries are averted – As wood absorbs blows well
- Efficient in warehouse storage – They can be molded as per the space required
- Timber pallets provide drainage and circulation – As they are porous
Benefits of Timber Pallets
Timber is easily the most common material used in the construction of pallets for the food and beverage industry. Timber pallets are obviously preferred compared to aluminum and plastic.
- Affordability: The pallets made of timber are definitely cheaper than both aluminum and plastic pallets. This may be a small cost, it is however associated with the food and beverage supply chain. This over time reduces the pallet costs which help in great savings and in the transportation chain.
- Value of Pallets: Timber pallets are less expensive compared to aluminum and plastic but despite this, they retain their value over due course. Their potential value for resale helps businesses to recoup the investment which they have put up, in case the transportation needs change.
- Durability: The shipments and cargo that arrive in the food and beverage industry are quite heavy. The timber pallets are strong and durable, capable of holding large weights. They can usually bear up to 3000 pounds. Plastic pallets can hold just about half of that. This means that there are less wear and tear, with replacements costs reduced.
- Repairs: Despite its durability, timber pallets can get damaged at times, they are, however easier to repair as compared to aluminum and plastic. Once broken, plastic or aluminum pallets need immediate replacements, but timber pallets don’t require replacement always.
- Antimicrobial Properties: As timber is antimicrobial in nature, they easily hold a bigger advantage compared to plastic or aluminum. The usage of wooden pallets can reduce the growth of dangerous bacteria. The only thing needed is an inspection.
- Cross-contamination: With regards to food and beverages, the huge concern is bacteria as the products are edible and consumable. This can also lead to cross-contamination. The pallets can be easily cleaned, preventing the spread of bacteria. Wood has a natural tendency to absorb bacteria which aids further.
- Environment-Friendly: Wood is a natural product and hence can be recycled at the end of its lifecycle. In case, it does get damaged, it can be turned into mulch. Plastic and aluminum cannot be recycled as effectively as wood. Plastic pallets cannot be surely recycled. This aspect of wooden pallets helps to increase the business’ carbon footprint.
- International Shipping: Wooden pallets are perfect for business transportation. They are also used for transportation to be done internationally. The wooden pallets, however, need to be rightfully treated when importing or exporting the food and beverage goods from outside the country or anywhere in the world.