Traditional banana cake with cream cheese icing can be as high as 40g of carbs per slice (and packed with sugar!).
We’ve come up with a lower carb banana cake using our Vanilla Cupcake Mix with a few little extra ingredients. Coming in at 8g carbs per slice, it’s not only healthy but also tastes delicious!
Cooking time: 40-50 mins
Makes: 1 small round cake (12 slices)
- 1 packet of Anna’s Low Carb Kitchen Classic Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) of milk of choice (we used unsweetened almond milk which is super low in carbs)
- 70g butter
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
We followed the steps on the packet, but used extra cream cheese.
- 250g cream cheese
- 3 tbsp butter (60g)
- 75g of Anna’s Low Carb Icing Mix
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 20ml (1 tablespoon) water
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare round cake tin with baking paper and spray the paper lightly with oil to avoid the cake sticking.
- Melt butter in the microwave, allow cooling. Whisk together mashed banana eggs, milk and melted butter in small bowl.
- Place dry mix and coconut in a larger bowl and pour the egg mixture into the dry cupcake mix.
- Stir enough to combine well.
- Using a spoon, pour the mix into the baking tin
- Bake for 35-40mins, rotating at half way so it cooks evenly.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- Refrigerate before icing. The cake must be cool or the icing will melt!
- Place cream cheese and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds.
- Add the cinnamon and Icing Mix.
- Using electric beaters, whip icing until light and fluffy.